TIPS FROM THE FIELD TO THE FREEZER
What to do after you shoot a deer!
1. Immediately gut the animal, be sure to remove BUNG, as faces will affect the flavor of your steaks. (Fecal matter is also the carrier for E-COLI).
2. Bring your deer to the butcher as soon as possible - until then, keep carcass cool and in the shade.
IF YOU BUTCHER YOUR OWN DEER:
1. Package your cuts and meat in "FOOD GRADE PLASTIC. ex: Large Ziploc Freezer Bags or Plastic Saran Wrap. Empty ice cream pails also work well too.
2. DO NOT WRAP meat in Freezer paper, Aluminum Foil, Newspaper, or Trash Bags as most trash bags are made from recycled materials and contain harmful chemicals and toxins. Freezer Paper is a poor choice for long term freezing.....FOOD GRADE PLASTIC IS THE BEST CHOICE, SHORT TERM OR LONG TERM.
ONCE YOU PICK UP YOUR DEER FROM THE BUTCHER:
1. Freeze or refrigerate all sausage and meat.
2. Be sure all meat and sausage is freezer wrapped in Food Grade Plastic.
3. We do not recommend "hanging" sausage. If you want to dry your sausage out leave it in your refrigerator unwrapped. It will dry out and get hard.
4. When leaving sausage in the refrigerator leave it loosely wrapped so it can breathe. If NOT done like this the moisture will be trapped and mold will form and grow.
FREEZER BURN IS CAUSED BY MEAT DRYING OUT. IF YOU WRAP TIGHTLY IN PLASTIC WRAP THIS WILL HELP PREVENT FREEZER BURN.
USE ANY LOOSE VACUUM PACKAGES FIRST. LOOSE PACKAGES HAVE A POOR SEAL AND THESE PACKS CAN GET FREEZER BURN IF NOT USED IN A TIMELY FASHION. PROPERLY WRAPPED MEAT WILL LAST 6 TO 12 MONTHS IN YOUR FREEZER.